Thursday, June 28, 2007

I Feel Sick.....

By the way, best story byline on the "Menchaca" affair goes to CBS7 and their news website for the very appropriate storyline entitled, "Ric Menchaca becomes 'Rich' Menchaca".

As I was grazing down the line item list of Menchaca's cash cow settlement I noticed that he is getting $80,000+ for "sick benefits". As with other details of this whole story the entry leaves the reader wondering; was he sick $80K worth or was he so well that he saved us $80K worth of unused medical costs and so now we're paying him for being healthy? Further, doesn't the city have medical insurance for it's employees if they do become sick, so why would anyone need 'sick benefits'? Since I don't recall reading in the last years that Menchaca was hospitalized I have to assume he is getting paid for being well. This strikes me as odd because in most jobs what you get for being healthy and showing up is.....well your job and the associated paycheck. Menchaca now has the best of both worlds. He can be well and not even have to show up! I think we now have to also assume that his employment contract was negotiated by the Teamsters Union.

I believe that I have grossly underestimated the opportunities in municipal employment with the City of Midland. Not only do you get a bag of dough for getting fired, you also get a bonus for being healthy enough just to show up at work [before you get canned]. The amount he received for being well is the equivalent of the income for two average families for a year. Eureka.

In the larger picture, the cost of Menchaca's newfound wealth is about $4 per every human soul in Midland plus quite a few of the dogs. Personally D. Daphne Dog and I would prefer to spend our 8 bucks on turkey ham and Lofthouse cookies. Oh yes, I also noticed that he received a paltry [in the scheme of things] four or five figure sum for "moving expenses". This was a wise investment, I assume, to guarantee his safety. Or perhaps to help him move into a new larger home.

No comments: