Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Shop Around...

I have several friends serving on the city council, the Mayor too in fact. I know that these guys are all married to fine ladies and I'm sure most of the wives do the family shopping. But...my advice to the guys is; get back in touch with your inner shopping self. The key philosophy to making informed purchasing decisions is to "shop around", compare prices.

As in the case of the City Manager. Had the council guys shopped around for a person to pay a huge amount to for not working, I could have given them a much better deal. I would have not worked as the city manager for around $150,000/year. Truthfuly, if negotiations got tough, I could have not worked for $100K provided I could get a few more paid holidays and maybe a gold watch when I retired from not working. And frankly I would not have expected a bonus for not working either; not working for the people of Midland is reward enough. I have great experience at not working as the city manager too, I've done it all my life.

So, instead of shopping around for a bargain like me, the taxpayers have gotten stuck with a $400,000 non worker. I would have not worked for half the price!

No comments: